[kaffe] StrongARM problems

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Jun 27 17:24:02 PDT 2004

Dalibor Topic wrote:

>>> Hi Fabien,

>>> Dalibor was on the track for this bug but I don't know what he is
>>> doing now about it. But here is the right fix I think...
>>

>> I think the problem comes from libc's internal structure
>> (k-sigcontext) and the kernel includes disagreeing on the sigonctext
>> struct's contents. libc uses a union of sigcontext structs (v20, v21)
>> to be able to extract the 'right' sigcontextinfo from the kernel
>> sigcontext. Of course, as the kernel sigcontext does not really have
>> such a union inside the struct, things break when we pass sigcontext
>> as a k_sigcontext.
>>
>> I think the right way to fix that is to find out what sigcontext
>> struct looked like on 2.0 kernels for arm, and to check what it looks
>> like on current arm kernels, to add a configure.ac check for some
>> struct element that's only present in one of them, and to use that to
>> fix our sigcontextinfo.h to remove the v2x union ideantifiers to
>> access the right struct elements when the above mentioned struct
>> element is present or not.
>>
>> I have to start downloading some kernels, I guess ;)
>

> done that, and talked on IRC with some debian-arm developers and Kero,
> and it seems that noone is using 2.0.x on arm, these days. So in order
> to make maintenance easier, I propose to remove the support for that,
> and simply make it work with the current kernels. Unfortunately,
> handhelds.org seems down, and HP's testdrive seems to have taken offline
> their arm machines, so I don't have a box to test on atm.

I've built a cross-compiler toolchain for arm-unknown-linux-gnu using
Dan Kegel's great crosstools scripts, and applied a few patches to the
CVS to make it buld with gcc 3.4.0. The v20/v21 issue is now fixed, and
I've removed some bogus (according to an IRC conversation with
OpenEmbedded developers) clobbering constraints from sysdepCallMethod.

I still don't have an arm-linux box to test, though :( I'll look into
scratchbox tomorrow to see if I can set something up using qemu.