[kaffe] i18n patches for X AWT backend

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Fri Mar 5 09:47:06 PST 2004

Konnichiwa Atsushi,

Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> robilad> Now I am puzzled what to check in ;) I'd propose to check in
> robilad> Jim's patch, and then to adapt and work in your fixes for
> robilad> font display using Jim's code as the start. Does everyone
> robilad> agree?
>
> I agree.  I think these parts are needed.
>
> 1. Jim's patch

I've checked it in. Thanks again to Jim for writing it up, and
sumbitting me a ChangeLog entry for it.

> 2. strerror workaround in my patch (if no other better fix)

The strerror workaround looks quite generic to me. The SYS_ERROR
definition should be unified in a single header, and cstrerror could be
our strerr replacement function in replace/ directory. Or we could use
the strerror replacement function from libiberty or from gcc.

As far as I understand it, the purpose of the patch is to set the locale
to "C" before asking for error messages, right?

> 3. good way to override default font names (not designed/implemented yet...)

Hm. I wonder how/if GNU Classpath handles this. I've CC:ed Sascha
Brawer, he may have an idea. In the long term, I'd like to try to use as
much of Classpath's java classes of their AWT implementation as
possible, so it may make sense to see if they've already encountered the
problem.