[kaffe] PATCH: support for PowerPCs w/o FPU

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Mon Mar 8 07:29:02 PST 2004

Hallo Marius,

Marius Groeger wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>

>>>ChangeLog entry:
>>>
>>>2004-02-25  Marius Groeger <mgroeger at sysgo.com>
>>>	* config/powerpc/sysdepCallMethod.h:
>>>	Add support for PowerPC CPUs without hardware FPU (-msoft-float)
>>>
>>>Comments welcome, but please copy me on standard email as I'm not
>>>subscribed to the kaffe mailing list.
>>
>>Thanks a lot for the patch and accompanying it with a ChangeLog entry.
>>
>>Since this is your first patch, before I check it in, I have to ask if
>>you're tainted, i.e. have looked at Sun's sources, decompiled them, or
>>signed an NDA that would prevent you from contributing.
>

> No, all squeezed out of my own brain :-) Actually, in this specific
> case we may well have something Sun doesn't have (yet). I doubt they
> support FPU-less PPCs. Please do get back to me in case of further
> question.

Great! Thanks a lot for giving us an(other ;) edge over Sun :)

If you're interested, there is an unmerged (somewhat unfinished) jitter
for PowerPC waiting for a interested hacker to merge it in [1]. A few
people expressed some interest in helping out on debian-powerpc, but we
need a powerpc hacker to kick the merge off, and get things into a
buildable state.

[1] In JanosVM 0.8.0.