[kaffe] Re: porting kaffe to arm/uCLinux

Nick.Faulwetter at Stud.Tu-Ilmenau.De Nick.Faulwetter at Stud.Tu-Ilmenau.De
Wed Mar 10 08:03:02 PST 2004

Hello again,

first i want to thank Andrea and Holger for their help.
There are no more errors while making, when i use the options:

CFLAGS="-D__XSCALE__" \
KAFFEH="/wrk2/usr/cad/nfaulwet/kaffe-native/bin/kaffeh" \
CC="/usr/local/arm-elf/bin/gcc -elf2flt" \
AR="/usr/local/arm-elf/bin/ar" \
NM="/usr/local/arm-elf/bin/nm" \
../kaffe-1.1.4/configure \
--host=arm-linux \
--build=i586-linux \
--with-rt-jar=/tmp/rt.jar \
--enable-pure-java-math \
--with-includes=/uClibc-0.9.11/include \
--with-libraries=/uClibc-0.9.11/lib \
--with-staticlib \
--with-staticvm \
--with-staticbin \
--enable-static=yes \
--disable-sound \
--without-awt

But the binaries create error-reports,
when i run them on the ARM-board.
Here is a list of the errors for the different binaries:

# bin/kaffeh
kaffeh: applet not found
# bin/javac
[: not found
syntax error
# bin/javah
kaffeh: applet not found
# jre/bin/kaffe-bin
leads to a crash

The other binaries in "bin" and "jre/bin" all show "syntax error".

There are some things you could help me with:

1. If anyone has any idea, what i could try to make the binaries run, please tell me.
I have absolutely no idea what to do now.

2. To avoid the error-message "region flatmem is full" i increased the flatmem-length
in the file "/usr/local/arm-elf/lib/elf2flt.ld". Can anyone tell me, how bad this is (i suppose
it is the reason my board dies when i start kaffe-bin). What possibilities are there to
make kaffe-bin smaller?

3. I know, that uClinux does not accept "fork()". But there are some fork-calls in the
source-files(e.g. in jthreads.c). If i simply replace them with vfork's, then the threads
will be executed one after the other, what surely isn't right. So does anyone know how to
let threads work parallel in uClinux at all? Or is there maybe a configure-option for
non-fork-supporting systems? (i saw configure printing "checking for fork... yes". What happens,
if the result is "no"?)

Thanks for your care. I wish you a nice day.