[kaffe] strange OpenBSD/sparc hang

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Mar 14 15:33:03 PST 2004

Ciao Riccardo,

Riccardo wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I build Kaffe on OpenBSD/sparc with the new compare/exchnage code that
> seems to work on Solaris.
>
> The VM builds fine, when building the libraries, the process stops at:
> [ optimized and generated java.text.ChoiceFormat in 3,209 ms ]
>
> and it remains there forever. AN analysis of top with the process
> indicates it is "idle" and the process is in "poll" state.

A quick grep through the source reveals that poll is only used by
unix-jthreads. Could you try reconfiguring and rebuilding kaffe from
scratch with posix threads [1]? For a more experimental feel, you could
try commenting out the

#define USE_POLL        1

line in kaffe/kaffevm/systems/unix-jthreads/jthread.h, to see if that helps.

> Suggestions? Problems with cp&ex or something else? Threads?

Problems with threads for sure. I don;t think this problem is related to
compare-and-swap changes, since the problem occurs due to poll(2)
hanging forever. It may indicate problems with 'poll' on sparc-openbsd,
I can't say for sure.

[1] --with-threads=unix-pthreads