[kaffe] Bug in Kaffe 1.1.4 handling of Stack Overflow.

Steven Augart augart at watson.ibm.com
Mon Mar 15 11:28:05 PST 2004

Timothy Stack wrote:
>>I'm using Kaffe 1.1.4.
>

> What CPU/OS are you using?

x86 (Pentium III), Linux (Red Hat kernel 2.4.20-18.9)

>>If I compile and run the following test program under Kaffe 1.1.4,
>>Kaffe exits with status 0 (normal exit).
>>
>>It should instead throw a java.lang.StackOverflowError and print out a
>>backtrace.
>>
>>The program, Bad.java:
>
> [snipped]
>

>>    dispatchException(): java/lang/ArrayStoreException
>>    java/lang/System.arraycopy has no handlers.
>>    java/lang/String.getChars has no handlers.
>>    java/lang/StringBuffer.append has no handlers.
>>    java/lang/StackTraceElement.toString has no handlers.
>>    java/lang/Throwable.stackTraceStringBuffer has no handlers.
>>    java/lang/Throwable.stackTraceString has no handlers.
>>    java/lang/Throwable.printStackTrace has no handlers.
>>    java/lang/Throwable.printStackTrace has no handlers.
>

> I got something similar to this, but then updated my CVS and it worked
> fine on x86/FreeBSD.

I'm glad to hear that the bug may have been fixed in the CVS head.

I'm going to continue operating on releases for a while; this isn't a
show-stopper now that I know about the problem.

--Steve Augart

--
Steven Augart

Jikes RVM, open source Research Virtual Machine:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/jikesrvm

Office: +1 914/784-6743
T.J. Watson Research Center, IBM