[kaffe] Differences between JIT and JIT3

Jeremy Brown jbbrown at fastmail.us
Mon Mar 15 15:48:04 PST 2004

I think I can answer some of what you asked. JIT is older and not as
good. JIT3 is "better" (faster?) and newer. I don't really know any more
details than that. JIT3 isn't available on all platforms. For example, I
am using an Alpha machine, and there is no JIT3 for that yet. When you
configure, it configures for one or the other (or neither if nobody's
implemented either for your platform). Unless you specify otherwise (eg
--with-engine=INTRP), it will automatically decide whether to use JIT3,
JIT, or INTRP. As I understand it, you get one or the other when you
compile. They don't mix and you can't specify which you want at runtime.

I make no guarantees as to the absolute accuracy of what I've said, but
I think most of it's right :-) I know I didn't get to a lot of those
details you mentioned. I'm sure other people can give more detail if
necessary.

-Jeremy