[kaffe] kaffe 1.1.4: gnu.classpath.Configuration.CLASSPATH_VERSION

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Mar 16 07:27:02 PST 2004

Hi Holger,

Holger Schurig wrote:
>>Done. but unfortunately, it doesn't work that well (with kjc, at
>>least):
>>
>>The problem is that Configuration.java is generated in the build
>>direectory, whereas the compiler is looking for the file in the source
>>directory. Automake allows for a (very useful) separation of source and
>>build directories.
>

> Then kjc is broken :-)
>
> It should first try to get things from the build dir, then from the source
> dir if this fails.

Hmmm ... sort of. That's not part of the API, and Sun's Javac has
changed its behaviour in this area [1] between releases, as well as
jikes has, afaik. Gcj and kjc both do the simplest thing: they don't try
to guess what the user might have meant to compile and greedily search
for things to compile, they rely on the user to name precisely the
classes that need to be compiled instead.

The more fundamental problem is that automake's support for building
java applications and libraries is sub-optimal, afaik.

Anyway, I propose simply changing
gnu.classpath.Configuration.CLASSPATH_VERSION to someting more sane,
like classpath-0.08+cvs+kaffe-1.1.4+cvs, since @VERSION@ from kaffe
(1.1.x-cvs) is not releated to the GNU Classpath version (0.08),
especially since we're tracking GNU Classpath's CVS.

[1] What get's automatically compiled.