[kaffe] awt/ncurses binding?

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Mar 31 11:33:02 PST 2004

Hi Pancake, hi Rob

pancake wrote:
> I think that could be very interesting to import the charva classes into the
> base kaffe classes. By this way, charva project will get more support by the
> comunity.
>
> charva is a handful of classes that trys to wrap all AWT/Swing classes in
> a textmode fashion using ncurses. I've charva packaged into pkgsrc-wip. But
> I've some problems using it, Application runs but finishes saying:
> "end of stdin"... I send a mail (with no response) to the charva-dev.
>
> Could be nice to get a kaffe version without X that support AWT/Swing widgets.

Sounds like something interesting.

Rob, how hard/easy would be to run existing Swing/AWT applciations on
Charva, if we played a few tricks with bootclasspath to preload Charva's
class libraries before our normal AWT implementation, and renamed the
Charva classes to java.awt/javax.swing packages? Would you be interested
in seeing Charva used as an AWT implementation option in kaffe?

cheers,
daslibor topic