[kaffe] Projects/sub-projects dependancies... Thoughts

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem.lavaux at free.fr
Sat May 15 09:36:03 PDT 2004

Dalibor Topic wrote:

> Yes. I'd prefer to see the core library split further into a few smaller
> libraries, defined by functionality they expose:
> kaffe/corejar : jar and zipfile handling
> kaffe/verifier : the verifier should be easy to split off, and contains
> a few files in its own.
>
> and presumably others along the same lines. We can get there by looking
> at what core files are shared between kaffeh and kaffevm and trying to
> separate them into functional libraries. I'd welcome patches in that
> direction. I believe that Guilhem was doing some work to separate the
> different engines more clearly, for example.

I have still some #define around in one of my local trees for kaffe but
I may check it in because it should be stable (basically I had to rename
and a few symbols). There will be a slight performance loss for JIT
though: currently the JIT is putting the pointers to translated methods
directly in the vtable. To be compatible with intrp and other way of
handling methods we must put a pointer to Method. This has the
consequence to have to dereference it and get the appropriate field
(always the same) in the structure. So basically it is around 3
instructions more by function call. Once all defines has been removed I
think we should try to build a common engine interface where the core is
totally ignorant of how is built the engine and reciprocally. This will
be a great step towards modularity. :)

Cheers,

Guilhem.