[kaffe] NEWS: GNU Classpath's AWT/Swing now runs on KaffeVM.

jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw
Thu May 20 07:24:03 PDT 2004

Hello all developers,

  I am so glad to inform you of the news that GNU Classpath's
AWT/Swing implementation now runs on KaffeVM with very small
patches. This means that Kaffe will gain more integration from
GNU Classpath.

  Thanks for Steven Augart's --portable-native-sync patch[1],
and I did some patch to GNU Classpath's AWt/Swing implementation
to get it work. In fact, it doesn't work very well, but it always
load and perform most functions. Here are my instructions:

1. Fetch tarball
  # wget http://jserv.sayya.org/kaffe/cpawt-kaffe.tgz
  # tar zxvf cpawt-kaffe.tgz
  # cd cpawt-kaffe

2. Build (I assume that you install KaffeVM with prefix /opt)
  # sh build
  (Of course, you should look at the build script)
  Notice: the script will automatically cvs check out classpath's
  repository, and you should make sure of ready networking.

3. run a simple TextEdit application shipped with Kaffe
  # cd src/clib
  # ./run.sh

  There are some impressive screenshots about GNU Classpath's AWT
running on KaffeVM:

  http://jserv.sayya.org/kaffe/screenshots/cp-awt.png
  http://jserv.sayya.org/kaffe/screenshots/cp-awt2.png

  We will merge GNU Classpath's AWT/Swing in the next release soon.

cheers,
Jim Huang

[1] http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath/2004-05/msg00073.html