[kaffe] Re: kaffe on morphos

Helmer Krämer hkraemer at freenet.de
Sat Nov 6 04:47:23 PST 2004

On Fri, 05 Nov 1999 12:37:07 +0000
Michael Grunditz <vax9000 at telia.com> wrote:

> Hello Helmer
>
> On 11/03/04, you wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:45:50 +0000
> > Michael Grunditz <vax9000 at telia.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have compiled latest kaffe on MorphOS. When I run "java" on a class I
> >> get the folowing:
> >>
> >> Couldn't find or load essential class `java/lang/Class'
> >> java.lang.ClassFormatError unknown class file truncated
> >> Abort trap
> >>

> >> any clues ?
> >
> > Does "latest kaffe" mean cvs HEAD?
> > What compiler do you use?
> > What options did you pass to configure?
> System:MOS_SDK/DevEnv/usr/local/kaffe-1.1.4/kaffe/kaffeh> gcc -v
> Reading specs from /gg/lib/gcc-lib/ppc-morphos/2.95.3/specs
> gcc version 2.95.3 20020615 (experimental/emm)
> System:MOS_SDK/DevEnv/usr/local/kaffe-1.1.4/kaffe/kaffeh>
>
> latest release 1.1.4

[ would it be possible to give cvs HEAD a try ? ]

> configure options:
> ./configure --without-alsa --without-esd --enable-pure-java-math
> --disable-sound --with-awt=no

java.lang.Class is the fourth class that kaffe tries to load
(see kaffe/kaffevm/baseClasses.c#initBaseClasses). Loading a
class means searching it in the classpath (in findInJar.c),
reading its data from the .jar file (in jar.c) and finally
parsing the .class file (in readClass.c / constants.c). The
above error message means that kaffe was parsing the .class
file but could not finish because the file did not contain
enough data. To get some debug messages during this process,
you can pass the option '-vmdebug READCLASS,CLASSLOOKUP' to
kaffe.

One possible reason for such an error is a (partially) damaged
rt.jar. You can check this by extracting rt.jar and running
developers/dumpClass.pl on some of the .class files (like
java/lang/Class.class). If that works, you could try to prepend
the directory where you extracted rt.jar to kaffe's bootclasspath
(using the -Xbootclasspath/p: option).

Regards,
Helmer