[kaffe] Re: Idea for a security compatible JIT

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 14:02:05 PDT 2004

Tim> I think mono kinda does this already, generating shared libraries
Tim> with the JIT and then loading them in.  In fact, I would imagine
Tim> most schemes for caching jitted code work this way as well.  It
Tim> would be nice to have in kaffe, it just never struck anyones
Tim> fancy I guess...

Yeah, Mono does this.  So does .NET and also the 1.5 JDK, at least
for the core libraries.

I'm hoping that the new binary compatibility ABI will let us use kaffe
code in libgcj -- or, conversely, gcj-compiled code in kaffe.  This
really is within practical reach, without the class and object
wrappers that I understand were needed in the old kaffe/gcj.  The big
stumbling block at the moment appears to be integrating the exception
handling approaches.

Tom