[kaffe] Kaffe on XScale

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Oct 6 08:48:47 PDT 2004

Thomas Winkler wrote:
> Hello,

Hallo Thomas,

> I'm currently trying to compile kaffe for the the intel XScale (ARM, Big
> Endian).

Fun :)

> I tried kaffe 1.1.4 as well as kaffe CVS HEAD (20041006). But I've run into
> problems I could not manage to resolve on my own and I hope that somebody on
> the list is able to help me.
>
> Kaffe 1.1.4
> -----------
>

> ../../../kaffe/kaffevm/support.c:852: internal compiler error: in
> reload_cse_simplify_operands, at postreload.c:378
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

That is an internal bug in gcc. I belive it is present in gcc up to
3.4.2, possibly later too. If you want to see it fixed, please report
the bug to the gcc developers. I don't think it has been reported yet :(

> Kaffe 20041006 (CVS HEAD)
> -------------------------
>
> ../../../../kaffe/kaffevm/jit/methodcalls.c:200: internal compiler error: in
> reload_cse_simplify_operands, at postreload.c:378

Looks like the same gcc error.

> ../../../../kaffe/kaffevm/intrp/methodcalls.c:91: internal compiler error: in
> reload_cse_simplify_operands, at postreload.c:378

And again the gcc ICE strikes from out of the blue:)

You could try bulding kaffe with libffi, I think I've read success
reports on xscale with libffi in order to work around the gcc bug.

The problem is that the C code for system dependant method invocation
for some reason seems to trigger a bug in gcc for xscale. It compiles
fine for other arm flavors, so I'm quite sure it's a gcc bug. There is
an alternative for the code, and it uses libffi. You need to explicitely
enable it in configure, though.