[kaffe] mipsel and jit3

Mikolaj Habryn dichro at rcpt.to
Wed Oct 6 23:33:04 PDT 2004

I'm trying to run a jit3'd kaffe (CVS HEAD) on a mipsel/uClibc box. It
isn't much of a box; it's actually a Linksys wireless router with a
Broadcom embedded MIPS core, but I figured it was worth a try. MIPS is
MIPS, right? Right? :)

Unfortunately, it bombs out more or less instantly, apparently as soon
as it tries to jit, with an Illegal Instruction error (in
java/lang/Object). Reading the mailing list archives, it appears that
there's been some serious progress for this architecture this year, so I
expect I'm doing something horribly wrong somewhere.

root at OpenWrt:~# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./kaffe-bin -verbosejit
-Xnative-big-math -Xbootclasspath:./sparse-2.jar -cp ./parsesol.jar
to.rcpt.mikolaj.ParseSolicitation
<JIT: java/lang/String.<clinit>()V time 12ms (12ms) @ 0x1008cc08
(0x100630b4)>
<JIT: java/lang/String$ICComp.<init>(Ljava/lang/String$1;)V time 2ms
(14ms) @ 0x1008c9e8 (0x10064b30)>
<JIT: java/lang/String$ICComp.<init>()V time 2ms (16ms) @ 0x1008cdc8
(0x10064af4)>
<JIT: java/lang/Object.<init>()V time 0ms (16ms) @ 0x2ab4bc90
(0x100572a4)>
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
root at OpenWrt:~# sh: turning off NDELAY mode

I'd like to supply more information, but I can't even get a cross-gdb
built with --enable-targets=all to recognize the core file or the
executable (*boggle*). Again, I'm obviously doing something hideously
wrong, but I'm at my wits' end trying to work out what it might be.
I've put all of the files up at http://mikolaj.tv/kaffe/ if they're of
use to anyone.

Interpreted mode works fine, if one could describe a 25 minute wait to
verify a signed XML file with a couple of embedded certificates as fine.

Um. Help? Please? :)

m.