[kaffe] JamVM on ARM (XScale)

Robert Lougher rob.lougher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 10:43:49 PDT 2004

Hi Steph,

Yes, I know the cost of a context switch so it makes it kind of hard
to defend my decision :)  It is faster on ARM than other processors
but still heavy.

I use an ancient version of familiar on my iPAQ (version 6?), which as
you said uses floating-point emulation in the kernel.  If they're
moving away from that it'll be a good reason to modify JamVM to assume
native methods are compiled with soft floating point (i.e. floating
point values are passed in gprs).  It's really trivial, less work than
writing this email!   (float same as int return, double same as long).

Have you tried JamVM on familiar or openZaurus?

Thanks,

Rob.