[kaffe] strange openbsd/sparc failure

Riccardo zuse at libero.it
Wed Oct 20 07:41:17 PDT 2004

Hey,

yesterday I compiled kaffe on openbsd/sparc with pthreads and jit. The
compilation went as far as running KJC and compiling a great deal of the
class library. I quit then the build to resume it today with jikes (
faster an uses less ram, KJC cannot terminate build on that box).

strangely once the build is completed, I get strange errors on "make
check".

the common one is:

Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/StackOverflowError
This error may occur because the stack size is not sufficient.
Try to increase the stack size using 'ulimit -s' or with the '-ss'
option on kaffe.
        at java.util.Dictionary.<init>(Dictionary.java:line unknown, pc
0x79b3e3)
        at java.util.Hashtable.<init>(Hashtable.java:262)
        at java.util.Hashtable.<init>(Hashtable.java:217)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.this(ClassLoader.java:39)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.<init>(ClassLoader.java:114)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.<init>(ClassLoader.java:111)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.<init>(SecureClassLoader.java:
60)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.<init>(URLClassLoader.java:544)
        at kaffe.lang.AppClassLoader.<init>(AppClassLoader.java:237)
        at kaffe.lang.AppClassLoader.<clinit>(AppClassLoader.java:35)
Abort (core dumped)
gmake[5]: *** [DefinedToUndefined.class] Error 134

I did run unlimit before:
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        131072 kbytes
stacksize       131072 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       34524 kbytes
memorylocked    34524 kbytes
maxproc         128
openfiles       1024

other times I get:

gmake[4]: Entering directory `/home/multix/kaffe-cvs/obsd-sparc/test/
regression'
Making check in compile_time
gmake[5]: Entering directory `/home/multix/kaffe-cvs/obsd-sparc/test/
regression/compile_time'
Memory fault (core dumped)
gmake[5]: *** [DefinedToUndefined.class] Error 139
gmake[5]: Leaving directory `/home/multix/kaffe-cvs/obsd-sparc/test/
regression/compile_time'

that looks even worse, but the class is the same...

running checks in test/internal...

creating jitBasic
Couldn't find or load essential class `ConstMethods' java.lang.
ClassNotFoundException ConstMethods
Abort (core dumped)
FAIL: jitBasic
1 of 1 tests failed