[kaffe] Unification of jit-m68k.def and jit3-m68k.def (step 1)

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Sep 2 10:39:46 PDT 2004

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Hi Dalibor,

Konnichiwa Kiyo,

> Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
>>Kiyo Inaba wrote:
>>
>>>As I said, I am now unifing machine specific portion of jit file.
>>>Attached is the result for step 1.
>>>
>>>While doing this merge, I found several errors for both jit and jit3.
>>>It can be a good co-product of this effort :-)
>>
>>Thank you very much for undertaking the effort ;) So the final result
>>will be a unified jit-m68k.def? That's great!
>

> Yes, in the last stage, I hope to make only one 'jit-m68k.def' file
> which can be used for both jit and jit3. In that stage, maybe we
> will have symbolic link to 'jit3-m68k.def' from 'jit-m68k.def'.

Sounds very nice to me. I think it would make sense for other
architectures as well. Looking at i386, it seems like the difference
between them is not that huge.

> Later, I will back port floating point emulation code to jit, which
> is only in jit3 right now. This effort may benefit non-FPU 68K
> CPU's mainly used for embedded application. The other important
> target is the half-damaged LC series CPU. (These cpu have broken
> emulation trap and for long time, there were no way to use them
> with unix-like system. This situation was changed by NB2, because
> they provide 'soft-float' port for LC.)

Ah yes, I remember LCs, I think there were 68040LCs around, that were
unuseable for anything unixish. NetBSD 2 changes that? That's great news!

>>p.s. Ugh, my freshly installed Mozilla Mail had HTML mails on by
>>default, and I didn't notice it for a few days. Sigh.
>

> Did you send me mail in this period? I sometimes automatically
> delete HTML mail without reading the contents ;-)

That's very reasonable response to HTML e-mails ;) I haven't sent any
personal mail in the last few days, as I was mostly busy settling in in
the new place, putting debian unstable on my computer, and making
everything work to my confidence. So I wasn't very active on the list or
  CVS.