[kaffe] XScale jthreads code

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Fri Sep 17 13:46:48 PDT 2004

I'm not subscribed to this list, please CC.

I've just had a chat to Dalibor about alleged XScale (ARM) specific
changes made back in Janaury.  I'm referring to this:

 http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2004-January/096859.html

I haven't looked too closely at the code in question, but I'm afraid
this is just wrong.

In fact, most ARMs don't have FP support (it's emulated) including
StrongARM variants on which Kaffe for ARM would mostly have been run in
the past. Even when they do have genuine FP support, it doesn't change
the generated code, and really there's almost nothing between ARMs that
changes how application code operates.

There are a number of reasons why a change might be required or seen:

  One is the change in soft versus hard FP support in GCC's output (the
  former means GCC tries to avoid actual FP instructions since they are
  slow because of emulation), and might have sparked the confusion.
  This depends upon the toolchain setup, and is certainly not XScale
  specific.

  Changes between GCC 2.95/3.3/3.4 meant the code came out differently
  and different numbers of items needed to be saved on the stack.

  Something else.

In any case, I recommend you find the true cause, and take away any code
that checks for an XScale.

Hope this is of interest.