[kaffe] java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: SHA

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Sep 29 09:25:48 PDT 2004

Ito Kazumitsu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today's make check on Linux 2.6.7-co-0.6.2 showed:
>
> FAIL: TestSerializable2.java
> FAIL: SerialPersistentFields.java
> FAIL: TestSerialPersistent.java
> FAIL: SerialUID.java
> FAIL: Alias.java
> FAIL: HashTest.java
> FAIL: SecureRandomTest.java
> FAIL: PropertiesTest.java
> FAIL: DateFormatTest.java
> FAIL: ZipTest.java
> ================================
> 10 of 144 tests failed
> Please report to kaffe at kaffe.org
> ================================
>
> And the common cause of these failures is:
>
> Caused by: java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: SHA
>    at java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance (MessageDigest.java:144)
>    at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.getClassUID (ObjectStreamClass.java:661)

Thanks for the bug report, Ito, I'm working on a fix. The problem is
that in order to load the SHA algorithm, eventually deserialization is
needed to load the ByteToCharDecoders in order to initialize a few
strings. If serialization invokes code that results in loading of SHA,
we end up in the trouble you see. I'm switching over kaffe's String to
use EncodingManager, and adding the support to use iconv for the
serialized encodings, too, if iconv is present.

I'm currently looking at one remaining issue with secure random before I
can wrap up the patch.