[kaffe] Escaping the java trap

David Matthews dmatthews at mailc.net
Fri Apr 8 06:15:39 PDT 2005

Or at least trying to.

My project did run on 1.1.4, using only the AWT toolkit, but its latest
incarnations needs Swing-only features.

Using 1.1.5, it compiles (with some warnings) using kaffes compiler(jikes?),
but crashes with
FATAL ERROR: No more room for local references, leaving an empty JFrame (no
other widgets) on screen.

If I use the verbose switch, I see a lots of kaffe-bundled classes being
loaded, the last one (in case this gives any indication) being
gnu/java/net/protocol/jar/Connection$JarFileCache.class(/usr/local/kaffe/jre/lib/rt.jar)

Using the -ms switch does not seem to help.

Previous experience with earlier versions of Kaffe led me to expect
substantial code tweaking would be required, but I'm not sure how to start
here.

Any ideas please?

David

dmatthews at mailc.net