[kaffe] Problem of porting kaffe to ecos on ARM 7 hardware target

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Aug 17 08:41:16 PDT 2005

Danny wrote:
> Hello list!

Hi Danny,

sorry for the long delay, I just noticed that you had an interesting
ecos-arm build problem while replying to another mail regarding ecos-arm
a few moments ago.

> patching file configure
>
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 10109 (offset -205 lines).
>
> Hunk #2 FAILED at 10629.
>
> Hunk #3 FAILED at 10921.
>
> Hunk #4 FAILED at 10952.
>
> Hunk #5 FAILED at 11029.
>
> Hunk #6 FAILED at 11178.
>
> Hunk #7 FAILED at 11209.
>
> 6 out of 7 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file configure.rej patching
> file configure.in

that's not a big issue, it just indicates that different versions of
autotools were used in the process of generation of the configure
script, afaik. You can regenerate the configure script by running bash
developers/autogen.sh in the top level source directory.

> export KAFFEH=/usr/local/kaffe-1.0.7/kaffe-native/kaffe/kaffeh/kaffeh
>
> export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/Projekt/Version1/untitled1_install/lib
> -nostartfiles -Ttarget.ld -WI,--gc-sections"
>
> export CFLAGS="-mcpu=arm7tdmi -mbig-endian -Wall -g -O2 -D__ECOS"
>
> export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/Projekt/Version1/untitled1_install/include
> -nostdinc -D__ECOS"

-nostdinc is probably the flag that causes the pain down there in the
compilation step. It means that the compiler will not look into its own
include paths.

>       When I execute "configure", do I have to add the option "--
> with-includes", because the first error in make is:
>

>       "stddef.h: No such file or directory". When I do this, there are
> still so many errors.

If you need to to that for ecos, then you need to do that :) I don't
know mysef, as I have not built software for ecos yet. I'd suggest
removing -nostdinc though.

> Do I have to say the compiler, where to find some special header files?
> Does the compiler takes the wrong header files or does the compiler
> takes the system header files of my system (Linux) instead of taking the
> header files both of eCos and kaffe?

the compiler should take its own header files by default (for things
like sys/...), and then use whatever is specified in its build environment.