[kaffe] ANN: Kaffe supports JAWT now.

jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw
Tue Feb 15 02:17:20 PST 2005

Hello all,

  I just committed the JAWT AWT Native Interface)[1] support in cvs
repository[2]. The work is based on GCJ's implementation brought by
Thomas Fitzsimmons.[3]

  #ProgX provides a good jawt example to express how to let a normal
Qt3 application and a Java application talk to each other, and you
can see the material and example (QOJ - Qt on Java)[4]. Luckily, Kaffe
could successfully drive it work with jawt implementation, and the
screenshot is like:

  http://jserv.sayya.org/kaffe/screenshots/qoj-jawt-kaffe.png

  You can find out the top-left window is a Java AWT/Swing gtk-peer
driven by Kaffe, and the bottom window is just a Qt3/X11 application.
They communicate with each other via jawt. :-)

  Later, I would attempt to test JOGL[5] and other Java applications
which need JAWT, such Eclipse SWT. It is really a nice beginning.

cheers,
Jim Huang <jserv AT kaffe.org>

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/awt/AWT_Native_Interface.html
[2] http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2005-February/101535.html
[3] His first jawt patch:
      http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2005-q1/msg00334.html
[4] http://www.progx.org/index.php?section=articles&article=Java/article12
    (It's not written in English, so that I can read nothing but its code.)
[5] https://jogl.dev.java.net/