[kaffe] Problems compiling Kaffe

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Mon Feb 7 08:13:51 PST 2005

Fernando Lozano wrote:
> Hi Sanghyeon Seo,
>
>>> If Kaffe build really needs a Java compiler and Java VM, couldn't it use
>>> gcj / gij and so I could build it using only free software?
>>>

>> jikes is a free software. What do you mean?
>>
> But Sun, IBM or Blackdown JVMs are not, and I have not fould how to use
> gij as the JVM for comiling Kaffe. Jikes is not a Java VM, but just a
> Java compiler.
>
> Anyway it's strange that, to compile a Java VM, I need another Java VM.

Yeah. Thanks for your bug report, I've fixed that now.

> And by the way, is kjc becoming unsupported?

Not really. It won't return as a jar file, as jar files are not much fun
to shuffle around in source tarballs.

For 1.1.5, I think it would be easiest to simply make javac a wrapper
around jikes (or some other supported external compiler).

Kjc will return at the very latest post 1.1.5 as a supported external
compiler.