[kaffe] Re: Java unter Debian

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Thu Feb 17 13:10:17 PST 2005

Michael Koch wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 07:39:53PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>

>>It's a GPL'ed program, a BibTeX file manager, JabRef:
>>
>>http://jabref.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>Its category would be "Graphical Client Applications", I guess.  As
>>expected, I do get errors:
>>
>>frank at alhambra:~/src$ kaffe -jar JabRef-1.7b.jar
>>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/java/swing/plaf/windows/WindowsLookAndFeel
>>   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke0 (Method.java)
>>   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Method.java:255)
>>   at kaffe.jar.ExecJarName.main (ExecJarName.java:67)
>>   at kaffe.jar.ExecJar.main (ExecJar.java:75)
>>frank at alhambra:~/src$
>>
>>Doesn't sound very well, WindowsLookAndFeel...
>

> Hehe, thats a lesson in how to write non-portable apps with java. I
> think this class is only included in the Windows version of the JRE/JDK.

Hi Frank, hallo Michael,

I think that's a bug in KunstStoff, which JabRef is using. KunstStoff
shouldn't be using com.sun classes directly, as Sun says that's not a
clever thing to do in their docs. Send them a bug report.

If you run JabRef jar with kaffe -vmdebug CLASSLOOKUP you can see how it
tries to load some Sun nonsense after loading kunststoff's
ExtWindowsLookAndFeel.

If you want to work around the broken Kunststoff code, make sure JabRef
uses reflection to do whatever it needs to do with ExtWindowsLookAndFeel
in JabRef class. See
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jabref/jabref/src/java/net/sf/jabref/JabRef.java?rev=1.70&view=auto
for the code.