[kaffe] Re: DArwin6 JIT3

Michael Franz mvfranz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 07:08:52 PST 2005

Here is the details from Apple's Release notes
(http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.3/gcc-1495/AppleReleaseNotes.html)

* The -traditional-cpp option has changed.  In Apple GCC 3.1 and
earlier Apple GCC compilers, -traditional-cpp was used to toggle
between the standard GNU GCC preprocessor and Apple's own
preprocessor, "cpp-precomp".  The GNU GCC compiler interpreted
-traditional-cpp differently on all other platforms. Since cpp-precomp
has been removed for Apple's GCC 3.3 compiler, the standard GNU
meaning of -traditional-cpp has been restored. By default, the GCC 3.3
preprocessor conforms to the ISO C standard. Using the -tradtional-cpp
option means the C preprocessor should instead try to emulate the old
"K&R C"

So, Apple's compilers use these flags:
GCC 2.95 uses -traditional-cpp - Apple non-standard interpretation
GCC 3.1 uses -no-cpp-precomp
GCC 3.3 restored to the standard GCC flag usage

Hope that clears things up. ;)

Michael