[kaffe] doing the TCK dance with Sun: step one

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Feb 22 17:48:47 PST 2005

Hi all,

after talking a lot with Sun's Onno Kluyt and Bruno Souza from Javali
during the runtime summit in Boston, I decided to see how honest Sun was
with their claims of opening up the compatibility test suite for Java 5
and allowing a free software implementation of the runtime and the class
libraries to be compatible with Sun's implementation.

I'm mostly interested in having access to TCK to be able to more easily
spot and fix the incomatibilities between Kaffe/Classpath that prevent
nice free software written in Java from working out of the box with nice
free runtimes. So I expect the results of such an effort to end up being
helpful to all free runtimes, rather than just Kaffe, by making it
easier to run more free software out of the box on GNU Classpath.

Alas, I have done the first step, and applied for 'qualified individual'
access to the TCK for Java 5. The next step is a decision from the TCK
scholarship board about the validity of my application.

The next step, then, will be to negotiate the actual terms with Sun. I
have no idea at the moment what the actual terms of access to the TCK
Sun will propose to me, so I can't say what the collaboration mode is
going to look like. I also don't know if Sun will actually propose
acceptable terms, but I guess that, if they are seriously interested in
compatibility, they will. I'll keep you updated as this application
moves on.

I've put up my application online on my blog on advogato[1], and I'll
talk about all this during the Kaffe talk at FOSDEM.

Don't put your hopes too high, though. Sun's TCK is not free software,
so it is not a suitable replacement for Mauve, the free software testing
kit. Don't wait for Sun to grant access to their TCK on
non-discriminatory terms, that might never happen. Please continue
hacking on Mauve and making it better than the non-free test suite in
every respect, just like GNU Classpath does the same for class libraries.

[1] http://www.advogato.org/person/robilad/diary.html?start=64