[kaffe] jnirefs.h - is this needed

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Sat Jan 1 23:38:19 PST 2005

Michael Franz wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have been browsing the code and have noticed that jnirefs.h is not
>used.  It is included by [ch] files, but the contents are never
>defined.  In an effort to get ride of the noise can this file be
>deleted?

Hi,

Thanks to your question I have reread the JNI spec and it looks like we
should on the contrary enable the JNI refs.
They are not needed in most cases because we store objects on the stack
but if the native call stores object in the heap we may lose track of
used objects and garbage collects them though we should not. I don't
know why they have been disabled by helmer (?)
http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/kaffe/kaffe/kaffevm/Attic/jnirefs.h.diff?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

Thanks,

Regards,

Guilhem.