[kaffe] Compilation failed for NetBSD1.6

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Jan 2 07:00:28 PST 2005

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Kiyo, happy new year!

> Latest snap failed on ia32/nb1.6 while configure.

thanks for reporting it.

> According to the log,
>
>>Information: Using pure Java math library
>>checking which extensions to include...
>>checking if malloc debugging is wanted... no
>>checking for kaffe... no
>>checking for java... no
>>configure: error: no acceptable Java virtual machine found in $PATH
>>gmake: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>

> Yes, I don't install 'java' on this machine, and the check result is
> correct :-)

Obviously ;)

> And according to 'configure', this checking is required because I don't
> specify '--disable-gjdoc', but until recently gjdoc was generated by
> the newly built (if successful) java and javac, rather than relying on
> existing java. Of course I understand the workaround for this is to
> specify '--disable-gjdoc' while configure, but hope to have smarter
> solution.

Unfortunately, gjdoc now needs ANTLR [1] to do its job. While I could
have simply put in antlr.jar into Kaffe's CVS tree, I decided to use the
approach used by Julian Scheid in gjdoc's CVS and use an installed
antlr.jar. In order to find ANTLR, the configure script executes a few
tests that require the presence of a Java runtime. That's why I disabled
  gjdoc by default again, as that interferes with bootstrapping on
virgin systems.

The other solution would be to bite the bullet and put antlr.jar into
CVS [2], or to merge it in as a whole chunk of source, and build it from
scratch for gjdoc. Given that the ANTLR.jar detection approach has been
very painful to merge in from gjdoc, I'd opt for the latter.

[1] A perser toolkit written in Java.
[2] Which is evil due to binary files in CVS being a pain to deal with.