[kaffe] Character encoder/ClassLoader initialization

Guilhem Lavaux guilhem at kaffe.org
Thu Jan 13 02:40:20 PST 2005

Hi,

It seems that when we don't use iconv there are some problems in
initializing the EncodingManager. CharToByteConverter.getEncoder needs
ClassLoader.getSystemResource which needs ClassLoader.staticData.
However staticData is not yet initialized because getEncoder is called
while initializing ClassLoader.StaticData.systemClassLoader. Everything
goes to a NPE.

The initialization loop can be broken either:

* by removing the dependency on getSystemResource (but I bet it will be
difficult)
* by getting rid of AppClassLoader which is the source of the loop: it
uses URLClassLoader.

Any other idea ?

Regards,

Guilhem Lavaux.

Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/Error: Unexpected problems with default encoder
         at java.lang.VMThrowable.fillInStackTrace(VMThrowable.java:native)
         at java.lang.VMThrowable.fillInStackTrace(VMThrowable.java:76)
         at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Throwable.java:498)
         at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:159)
         at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:81)
         at gnu.java.io.EncodingManager.getEncoder(EncodingManager.java:387)
         at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.<init>(OutputStreamWriter.java:114)
         at java.io.PrintWriter.<init>(PrintWriter.java:121)
         at java.io.PrintWriter.<init>(PrintWriter.java:137)
         at java.io.PrintStream.<init>(PrintStream.java:152)
         at java.lang.System.<clinit>(System.java:45)
         at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.<init>(SecureClassLoader.java:61)
         at java.net.URLClassLoader.<init>(URLClassLoader.java:548)
         at kaffe.lang.AppClassLoader.<init>(AppClassLoader.java:237)
         at kaffe.lang.AppClassLoader.<clinit>(AppClassLoader.java:35)
         at
java.lang.VMClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader(VMClassLoader.java:273)
         at java.lang.ClassLoader$StaticData.<clinit>(ClassLoader.java:160)
         at java.lang.ClassLoader.getSystemClassLoader(ClassLoader.java:772)