[kaffe] Problem getting a real static kaffe-bin for ARM uClinux

David Tiller dtiller at captechventures.com
Thu Jan 20 14:13:51 PST 2005

Dear fellow Kaffe-lings,

I've made good progress on getting a port of Kaffe 1.1.4 to uClinux
2.4.22 on an ARM processor. I (like many others, it seems) can get an
executable that will give the usage() message, but if you try to run
code, I get "Failed to locate native library "libnative" in path: ...

I've tried every combination of --with-static[lib|vm|bin], but I still
get a dynamic executable. The libtool scripts seem to be ok - they have:
build_libtool_libs=no
build_old_libs=yes
allow_libtool_libs_with_static_runtimes=no
link_static_flag="-static"

Please, if anyone has figured this out or can point me in the right
direction I'd really appreciate it.

PS - Why does javax.naming.InitialContext depend on java.applet.Applet?
That drags half of awt right back into the picture.

Here's my configure script:

CFLAGS="-mcpu=arm9 -Wl,-elf2flt -D__ARM__ -D__uclinux__" \
KAFFEH="/home/dtiller/kaffe/kaffe-linux/bin/kaffeh" \
CC="/usr/local/bin/arm-elf-gcc" \
CXX="/usr/local/bin/arm-elf-g++" \
AR="/usr/local/bin/arm-elf-ar" \
NM="/usr/local/bin/arm-elf-nm" \
../kaffe-1.1.4/configure \
--prefix=/home/dtiller/kaffe/kaffe-arm \
--with-class-library-profile=tagsware \
--with-rt-jar=/home/dtiller/kaffe/kaffe-linux/jre/lib/rt.jar \
--disable-profiling \
--disable-xprofiling \
--disable-xdebugging \
--disable-feedback \
--without-profiling \
--without-stats \
--disable-gcj \
--host=arm-linux \
--build=i686-linux \
--enable-pure-java-math \
--with-includes=/usr/local/arm-elf/include \
--with-libs=/usr/local/arm-elf/lib \
--with-staticlib \
--with-staticvm \
--with-staticbin \