[kaffe] netbsd macros

Riccardo Mottola zuse at libero.it
Sun Jul 3 15:50:25 PDT 2005

Hello,

as someone might have noticed, I provided patches that uniform Netbsd's
macro handling. The idea was suggested by a netbsd developer since
sigcontext is causing trouble and is supported on netbsd in legacy mode.
Signifo and ucontext are the way to go.

I found that netbsd provides some macros to access in a uniform way
platform sensitive data: stack pointer and porgram counter. This is
great news. If you look, that part of code in md.h is now identical
across netbsd x86, ppc and sparc!!! I find this very clean.

the caveats are 3

1. SA_SIGNFO? Guilhem (and others) sometimes undefined it sometimes not.
For the moment I removed his undefines. and stuck my definition in place.

2. at least one of the two macros wasn't present in older netbsd, maybe
in even older ones both were missing. I provided replacements my copying
in the netbsd versions for each platform. If they really work or the
internal structures changed... that is unknown. Everyone having netbsd
1.6 or earlier (which worked before the patches hopefully) pelase
provide feedback.

3. what to do about platforms I didn't tacle? probably mips and 68k miss
netbsd changes, I haven't checked if arm and sh support netbsd too.
Should I blindly provide the same patches ?

A last note about the STACK_POINTER macro. It wasn't defined on one
platform, if the macro is not defined in md.h, the various sources for
jthread/pthread will provide their won version using other generic
macros. This didn't work anymore apparently after my macros. Providi

I have verified all new macros on my own platforms. They cause no
trouble. Indeed, on sparc they solved problems! on x86 not, but new one
didn't pop up either.

-R