[kaffe] Re: request for switching to subversion

Jim Pick jim at kaffe.org
Fri Jun 3 14:35:05 PDT 2005

Adam Heath wrote:

>>I'm all for switching, if it doesn't inconvenience anyone.
>

> There are lots of places that currently access kaffe cvs directly.  Notifying
> all of those users is going to be a pain.
>

>>Some people might have a whole bunch of changes in their working tree
>>that haven't been checked in yet.
>

> Not just that, but people who are using cvs may not be reading this list.
>
>>>I'm fine with CVS and I'd really hate to install svn on all my strange
>>>boxes. CVS is very proven and portable. Maybe it is possible to get CVS
>>>in "read only" export? I don't even have commit access.
>>
>>That might be possible, I see a howto here:
>>
>>http://sam.zoy.org/writings/programming/svn2cvs.html
>

> It's certainly possible to setup a readonly cvs copy of a read/write svn
> repository.  But unless we switch off cvs at some point, users who only do
> readonly checkouts will never be inclined to switch.

Well, if we can get a readonly cvs copy working, then they don't have to
switch.

>>I've been using svn for my own personal repository of stuff for about 2
>>years, and I've been quite happy with it.
>>
>>It would take some time to prototype this, but I'm willing to do the
>>work.  I think I'd like to set up a single-purpose Xen session on my new
>>server to host it.
>

> We have a xen setup already to go.  3 xen servers, large file server, gigabit
> nfsroot.  kaffe.brainfood.com is a 512m(ram), 40g setup running 2 tinderboxes
> already.

Cool.  I had heard rumours of some such beast.  I guess I should hang
out on irc more often.  :-)

It would be cool to split some of the servers across multiple physical
locations to provide some redundancy...

Cheers,

  - Jim