[kaffe] Re: Porting Kaffe-1.1.4 on mips lx4189

Riccardo zuse at libero.it
Tue Jun 14 07:17:17 PDT 2005

Hey,

> This may have nothing to do with your problem, but
> note that the Lexra processors aren't really 100%
> MIPS compatible - they don't implement the "load
> left" and "load right" instructions used to handle
> unaligned (typically, packed) data. Unless the OS
> knows to emulate those instructions, or the compiler
> is told to avoid emitting them, you could get the sort=20
> of behavior you describe.

although not perfectly, kaffe does run on Mips, to be sure however I'm
running a build of CVS right now on my r4400 system. I will post
resulsts later here.

The instructions to load unaligned data are copyrighted, afaik. Thus a
non-official implementation of MIPS can't have them. Usually gcc doesn't
generate unaligned accesses, but kaffe could.

In any case, kaffe 1.1.4 is a bit old and you might try either 1.1.5 or
even better CVS. But if the problem is your CPU then... you'll have
trouble.

-R