[kaffe] kaffe's license

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Jun 14 09:44:24 PDT 2005

toodulli at netian.com wrote:
> additional qustaion..
> If I don't used a Kaffe' virtual machine.
> If CDC-VM was loaded in the DTV settup box, how much do I give in Sun corp.
> If I used Sun's libraries without cdcvm, Have I a duty to give money in
> Sun corp.

Licensing questions about Sun's proprietary software are best asked to
Sun Microsystems directly. Kaffe.org is not affiliated with Sun
Microsystems, so noone here can guess what Sun Microsystems may want
from you. Given that Sun's libraries are usually licensed under
business-unfriendly terms, like the SCSL, I'd in any case suggest
looking for alternatives.

So, instead of using proprietary software, and having to pay royalties,
I'd recommend looking at Free Software alternatives. Kangaroo might be
an interesting option if you are looking for a stripped down version of
Kaffe for embedded systems, and for Digital TV in particular I would
suggest looking at various Kaffe-based efforts for Digital TV support
like OpenMHP.org from http://www.openmhp.org and the interactive-vdr MHP
plugin for VDR available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/interactive-vdr .