[kaffe] build appletviewer on CVS HEAD

jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw jserv at linux2.cc.ntu.edu.tw
Thu Mar 10 03:11:17 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:39:30AM +0100, gian paolo ciceri wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi gian,

> When I try to run appletviewer I take:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: kaffe.applet.AppletViewer
> ~   at java.lang.Class.forName (Class.java)
> ~   at java.lang.Class.forName (Class.java:44)

  It's really my fault that I didn't express the AWT implementations
and some Kaffe-only classes in FAQ very well. The package kaffe.applet
is only available in kaffeawt.jar, which is disabled in default build.

  I stronly recommend you try to migrate to gcjwebplugin, which is
well maintained at the moment, but the old one shipped with kaffe does
not. However, the import of gcjwebplugin is not done yet, so that you
will not be able to use appletviewer script if you didn't xlib, qt,
or Nano-X AWT backends. Also, you have to modify the appletviewer
script to add -Xkaffe-xlib-awt (or something like this) passed to
kaffe command like.

> But I have the script installed, only no class in the library.
>
> What I've missed ? Looking at FAQ didn't help me.

Thank you for pointing me, and I would like to provide another way
to manage the different AWT backends issues.

cheers,
Jim Huang