[kaffe] Kaffe VM Memory Footprint Optimization

L'Archeveque, Regent Regent.LArcheveque at space.gc.ca
Mon Nov 14 13:37:53 PST 2005

Hi all,

I try to reduce the memory footprint of the Kaffe VM.  Based on old mailing list messages, It seems that targeting 1 Meg RAM device was possible with Java.  I have made a lot of tests in order to reduce the footprint as much as possible.  I applied the tips mentionned in the kaffe.embedded FAQ but with a minimal impact.  A simple program (see below the code and the GC verbose messages and top snapshot) requires more memory than what I expected (based on my readings).
Does someone have some tips or references?  Where can I find the list of FEATURE handled by kaffe (FEATURE to be disabled or enabled with configure command)?
Is it possible to use kaffe with embedded devices with less than 8 Megs or should I use CDC or CLDC?

  int i = 0;
  while (true) {
   System.out.println("i = " + i++);
   try {
    Thread.sleep(100);
   } catch (InterruptedException e) {
    // TODO Auto-generated catch block
    e.printStackTrace();
   }
   System.gc();  // Just for the test.
  }
 }

<GC: heap 5124K, total before 2671K, after 2670K (28481/28458 objs)
 47.9% free, allocated 2K (#26), marked 779K, swept 1K (#23)
 23 objs (1K) awaiting finalization>

 PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  DATA COMMAND
 3474 regent    15   0 16460 6240  10m S  4.7  0.2   0:01.79  15m kaffe-bin