[kaffe] xpg fails to build: java.util.jar.JarException: Attributes cannot be called 'Name'

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Wed Oct 12 01:30:29 PDT 2005

Wolfgang Baer wrote:
> Hi Joshua,
>
> Joshua Nichols wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to build the Gentoo package for xpg (
>>http://www.kazak.ws/xpg/) with kaffe-1.1.6. When doing so, I get the
>>following error:
>

> I cannot help you in this specific case. But it might interest you
> that debian has switched to fastjar for the jar tool in kaffe.
>
> This was done by request of Dalibor :-)

Yeah, to fix subversion builds.

> Dalibor, a comment about the future of the kaffe's internal jar tool ?
> Do you intent to abandon kaffes internal jar tools for 1.1.7 or only
> providing a fastjar as alternative ?

I'd like to switch over to fastjar, since :

a) it's in C++, so we can use it during the build rather than having to
require zip to be present, or kaffe to work for our own Jar utility

b) it's the jar utulity everyone else (gcj, ...) is using, so it makes
more sense to switch to something commonly maintained, in particular
since some JAR features wuold have to still be implemented in Kaffe's
JAR and fastjar, and duplicating the work on jar does not sound that
attractive.