[kaffe] Current status & getting 1.1.6 out of the door

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Sun Sep 11 16:11:08 PDT 2005

Hi team,

as you've probably noticed by the mailing list traffic today, I've got
kaffe resynced up to GNU Classpath 0.18. I've also merged in the JDWP
work in progress from GNU Classpath, which needs a volunteer to
implement the native calls into Kaffe. That would allow in a future
version of kaffe to use Kaffe with JDWP aware debuggers, like Eclipse's.

Remaining things on my TODO list for 1.1.6:

  * Merge in Runtime #CPUs code from Cacao (fixes a debian bug report)
  * Merge in new RMIC from classpath tools with asm (mostly working)

That should be done by tomorrow evening. I should have a 1.1.6-pre1
tarball with the patches merged in for testing by then, and a release by
next Sunday. As I plan to attend the GNU Classpath Distro DevJam in
Oldenburg later this month [1], I'd like to have a fresh Kaffe release
for it. ;)

Other items to look at:

  * Check in remaining patches from list & personal inbox (david's
mandriva patches, andreas' warning fixes, anything else I missed?)
  * Fix easy (implicit declaration, signed vs. unsigned) warnings on
some arches (alpha, mips(el), other arches with weird bugs)
  * amd64 jit patch from Eric
  * L4 port from Alexander

[1] http://java.debian.net/index.php/DevJam Friday 23 September till
Sunday 25 September in Oldenburg, Germany, along with a Debian Developer
meeting. If other european Kaffe developers want to come over to Germany
for a weekend of hacking, beer & talk with other free runtime & distro
developers, see wiki link, I'd enjoy not being the only kaffe person
around ;)