[kaffe] kopi download site

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Tue Sep 20 07:08:57 PDT 2005

Kiyo Inaba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to mention so many different types of java compiler can be used
> for bootup kaffe.

Hi Kiyo,

I tried several compilers out since different distributions ship with
different compilers, and I wanted to give the upcoming gcjx a try, as
it's being actively maintained by Tom Tromey from gcj, and he's been
very responsive to my bug reports.

Jikes 1.22 seems to be somewhat unmaintained these days, with IBM
appearing to be putting most of their work into ecj. gcj is seeing a lot
of maintainance work as well, but I am sure that Tom would be more than
happy to switch over to gcjx as soon as he can, so gcjx is the compiler
I am watching most closely atm. Current status is that all except two
regression tests pass on x86-linux when rt.jar is compiled with gcjx
from CVS head, with the two tests failing due to gcjx getting line
numbers wrong.

> But I noticed kopi (or kjc) can not be downloaded as
> mentioned in the FAQ. Is it just temporary or not?

I haven't seen an announcement of a migration of KOPI yet, so I'd assume
that it's temporary. I've heard that KOPI developers were working on
jacks tests for 1.5 features in mauve, so I'd assume that KOPI
development is going on.

Meanwhile, you can get the last version of kjc as it was used in Kaffe
(with patches from Guilhem & Ito) from the kjc module in Kaffe's CVS.