[kaffe] xalan-2.6.0 fails to compile with kaffe-1.1.6

Wolfgang Baer WBaer at gmx.de
Tue Sep 20 23:45:04 PDT 2005

Hi Joshua,

Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I can't seem to get xalan-2.6.0 to compile with kaffe-1.1.6. I believe
> it is the same cause of the compile errors I was gettingxerces-2.6.2
> which I posted earlier (but seems to need moderation). I used a
> pastebin service, so hopefully the log will be around:
>
> http://pastebin.com/369659

The build fails due to the fact that kaffe and also GNU classpath ships
with DOM Level 3 interfaces. However xalan (at least this version) is
only able to compile against DOM Level 2 interfaces. As JDK 1.4 has
only DOM Level 2 it succeeds however kaffe or other gnu classpath
derived vms will fail.

There are two workarounds:

- if you have ant < 1.6.3:
  copy dom level 2 sources for compilation into your source path.
  they will take precedence over the runtime ones during compilation.
  afterwards remove them.

- if you have ant >= 1.6.3:
  you have to use the bootclasspath option with the javac task and
  jikes. This means you can prepend a jar from a dom level 2 package in
  the compile bootclasspath.

Regards,

Wolfgang