[kaffe] Kaffe compilation with Nano-X awt interface

Gianluca Moro giangiammy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 00:25:43 PDT 2005

--- Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org> wrote:

> > I'm getting a very weird behaviour: if I start a demo
> > (just open a window and set a green background) it starts
> > with no errors, and stay there: 1 time in (about) 30
> > the windows appear on the LCD: the other times I do
> > not see nothing!!!
> that sounds like a race condition somewhere :( You may want to check
> what happens during a successful startup vs a fialing startup and try
> add 'synchronized' keyword in the class library for awt backend for
> nanox where it turns out be appropriate :(

Hi Dalibor, I think the problem is in the thread library:
kaffe was compiled with standard thread library (pthread);
I tried to compile with the jthread library (--with-unix-jthreads)
and the initialization always complete correctly.
By the way, with pthreads, when the initialization was correct needed
30seconds, now it needs 10 seconds.

Now I'm testing programs behaviour, starting from helloworld:

import java.awt.*;

public class Hello extends Frame {
    public static void main(String argv[])
    {
	new Hello();
    }

    public Hello() {
	super("Hello World!");
	Label hello = new Label("Hello World");

	// bring it under geometry control
	add("Center", hello);
	resize(500, 500);

	// map the widgets
	show();
    }
}

this works correctly on PC, while on Nano-X do not display
the label in the window (the window appears, but is empty)
The window title string on the contrary is shown correctly.
Now I'm  investigating about this :-(

Thanks so far
bye
giammy