[kaffe] xlib animated gifs and their threads don't get cleaned up

Zeri Virgo zerivirgo at infocell-its.com
Wed Feb 22 10:05:16 PST 2006

Hi,

We're using a slightly modified (see below) Kaffe 1.1.5 with an xlib peer...
    --with-kaffe-x-awt --with-x --without-classpath-gtk-awt
--enable-pure-java-math

We're loading large animated gifs very regularly with
Toolkit.getImage("filename") and finding that for every gif loaded a
thread is created. However, flush()ing the image and setting the
pointer to null doesn't seem to get rid of the thread or all the
memory it's taking. Very quickly we run out of memory.

We tried using Applet.getImage instead, but got...
    java.lang.NullPointerException
       at java.applet.Applet.getAppletContext (Applet.java:32)
       at java.applet.Applet.getImage (Applet.java:61)
...but since I had to hack a Swing JWindow into Kaffe to give us a
fullscreen, borderless window, the applet context may not be set
correctly????

Also Toolkit.createImage which would hopefully not cache the image at
all doesn't seem to be available - though there is talk of javax.imageio
providing that functionality?

Can anyone help me clean up these threads or avoid them being left in
the first place after flushing an animated gif Image?

Thanks,
- Zeri