[kaffe] reducing size of rt.jar for embedded platforms

d greene dgreene29 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 13 12:53:05 PST 2006

hello all,

In 1.1.4 I was able to reduce rt.jar to 1.5M, but with 1.1.6 I'm only able
to reduce to 6M (so far). I'm finding that there are probably too many cross
package dependencies on crypto, swing, awt, for instance, so I'm unable to
easily remove those all those packages that I'm not using (and yes  I used
all the configure switches to disable awt, sound, etc) without getting
runtime errors.

Any hints on how to easily reduce rt.jar would be appreciated. It would help
if "--with-awt=no" would actually not include any awt and swing packages in
rt.jar.  I don't need (and I'm guess most embedded platforms) graphics,
sound, xml, rmi, applet, corba (and security for now). A single switch for a
minimal rt.jar would be nice.

thanks,
dgreene