[kaffe] Re: Kaffe binary for PPC 5200

Riccardo riccardo at kaffe.org
Thu May 4 06:39:10 PDT 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:06:21 +0200, Doran Hans (doh) <doh at zhwin.ch> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for a kaffe binary with as small a footprint as possible
> for a Power PC 5200 running a generic embedded linux V2.4.25. The
> application will run a knopflerfisch OSGi platform.
>
> Does anyone have an idea how small this footprint can get?

unfortunately I don't know how small it can get. I have succesfully run
kaffe on linux 2.0 for powerpc.
You can disable the build of many native libraries, for example the QT or
the GTK peer if you don't need them. To slim down the class library though
I think you need to build a profile yourself. If you don't need graphic
and multimedia stuff I think you may be able to easily cut the jar to
about the half size, but I haven't attepted to fiddle with profiles since
a long time and some things changed. There should be a FAQ/How to and I
hope Mr. Topic can explain you more details.

Riccardo