[kaffe] Problem while building Kaffe

Dalibor Topic robilad at kaffe.org
Mon Sep 11 00:39:22 PDT 2006

Hemanth Kumar wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am new to kaffe and I am facing few problem during
>building kaffe after successfully configuring.  I am
>using ARM9 cpu , gcc-3.0.4,kaffe-1.1.7 , I will not
>use gtk or X11because it is console based embedded
>device,
>             I am not getting any error but Kaffe is
>getting struct at this point, after giving make.
>
>Adding java source files from VM directory
>/opt/downloads/kaffe-1.1.7/libraries/javalib/vmspecific
>/usr/local/bin/jikes +Pno-switchcheck +Pno-shadow +F
>-encoding UTF-8 -bootclasspath '' -extdirs ''
>-sourcepath '' --classpath
>/opt/downloads/kaffe-1.1.7/libraries/javalib/vmspecific:..:../external/w3c_dom:../external/sax:../external/relaxngDatatype:.:
>-d . @classes
>
>Please suggest me some remedy.  Thanks in Advance.

Hi Hemanth,

are you building Kaffe on the ARM device? In that case, chances are
you're hitting a bug in jikes
that only manifests itself on arm devices, and leads to jikes eating all
memory and crashing.

I'd suggest either using a cross-compiler chain and building on a
non-arm platform,  or
using a prebuilt rt.jar for kaffe 1.1.7, for example from the debian
packages, and passing it to configure
using the respective configure script options. See configure --help for
details.