[kaffe] Build failure for arm/linux

Kiyo Inaba inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp
Mon Apr 23 23:54:50 PDT 2007

Dalibor wrote: (slightly change the order of sentences)
>Kiyo Inaba wrote:
>> But, as a matter of fact, this patch does not solve my problem for
>> making arm/linux/jit works again. Or even, v1.3 of 'md.c' (not
>> using ARM_NR_cacheflush) does not solve it.
>>
>> Since Sascha's report indicates (even he does not explicitly say so)
>> he tried to make his effort based on 1.1.7, I will try to check
>> whether this slightly old version works or not. If it works as
>> he reported, I have to step forward to the CVS head.
>
> does that build/work?

While trying with 1.1.7, I noticed one more interesting reports
in http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2004-March/097294.html
(yes, always I got important information from Helmer, thanks!)
which said, arm-jit might not work with gcc-3.x, so I also change
compilers to 2.95.

But, first I got very funny result saying some of java codes
can not be compiled. I went back to bed, and second try, same
result. Then, this afternoon (JST), I finally understand, I am
fully silly ;-< I have to use 'glibj.zip' coming from the same
version of distribution. (I used much younger version of glibj.zip
for this compilation)

The compilation was finished, but looks like it does not work.
It stops at the same point (SIGSEGV for 'detectStackBoundaries').

>> Yes, I know that cache flushing will be merged into glibc some day,
>> and this is the way to go as like as what happened on m68k/netbsd
>> several years ago (see 'm68k/netbsd1/jit-md.h' v1.5 and v1.7).
>I wish it was, but so far ... no. And as Debian is stuck on glibc 2.3
>for the next 2 years until the next release, there won't be much one can
>do, other than using libjit or llvm, and delegating the low level jit
>work to them.

For this part, I found this 'bug' was introduced with patch file
called 'hdrcleanup-2.6'. Experience tells, cleanup sometimes drop
several valuable things ;-<

>OK. I've also dug around in glibc-ports-2.5,  but I don't have a
>suitable cross-compiler toolchain atm.

Thanks, if you are really interested, I will send you working copy
of QEMU with bootable kernel and disk images.

Kiyo