[kaffe] Re: Future directions for Kaffe

Riccardo riccardo at kaffe.org
Tue Apr 3 14:31:28 PDT 2007

Hi Jim,

yes, it has been quiet here lately. To be honest though, I like how kaffe
is (I still perceive it more "open" as OpenJDK) and I like our old-style
site and CVS. I use both sourceforge and savannah, but our own stuff has
more charm.

Personally I am pretty busy and I am not so expert to delve in the innards
of kaffe. With somebody as a guide though I can accomplish some tasks.
Currently with Guilhem I have pending some AWT event fixes and more
importantly PPC jit.

Before releasing, Swing and GTK peers from classpath needs to be fixed
absolutely!

For a 1.1.8 release, which is due since ages, I'd just like to see a "fix
it at best" of classpath so that swing/gtk peer runs, a check that
interprerter and jits are compiling an working on most of "our" platforms
and maybe the fixes with our xawt if we still have time.

For the future I see following points:
- using a premade classpath seems a decent idea, if it alleviates other
problems
- I would not spin everything off into pieces. It would just rot, makes
things more difficult to install and bring more instability. Maybe just
using a ready-built classpath is enough for te beginning
- we are still meaningful for some platforms like 68k, PPC, BSDs...
- as Tim wrote there is no point in being just a "slow" and "buggy"
OpenJDK clone. Although we need compatibility, diversity is interesting
- slowly we may improve anyway

as far as the site goes, I like its spartan look, I like our CVS and our
autarchy and thank you for keeping everything up. Still it clealry needs
updates! If we get 1.1.8 out maybe there is also an incentive in writing
things up.
I vote that if a wiki can be integrated on our server, it would be a nice
thing to do (although due to spam it needs accounts probably). Some stuff
like Hall of Fame, Hall of Shame, compatibility lists are best kept on
there probably and generally help to keep pages were information is
generated from the community up to date.

I'd prefer not jumping into the future, but morphing gradually. We cannot
afford to big breakage an lots of refactoring is not fun, also it gives us
time to reflect on what to do - we are few and busy.

I'll try to keep an eye and help people out.

Have a nice day,

   Riccardo