[kaffe] Cannot run AWT on Kaffe

Kelvin Xu kyoxu at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 8 07:46:57 PST 2007

Dear all,

I am trying to run some simple awt applications on Kaffe CVS version (1.1.8)
with gcc 4.1.0 on 3 different AWT backends without success.

On nanox:
I try to run WidgetsDemo using the following command:
>nano-X & nanowm & kaffe -Xkaffe-nanox-awt WidgetsDemo
Although Nano-X starts, the following is returned:
java.lang.InternalError: Pointer class was not properly initialized
at ComponentDisplay.main (ComponentDisplay.java:60)

On GTk:
>kaffe WidgetsDemo
The following error is returned:
java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit: gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit
   at java.lang.VMThrowable.fillInStackTrace (VMThrowable.java:native)
   at java.lang.VMThrowable.fillInStackTrace (VMThrowable.java:79)
   at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace (Throwable.java:498)
   at java.lang.Throwable.<init> (Throwable.java:159)
   at java.lang.Error.<init> (Error.java:81)
   at java.awt.AWTError.<init> (AWTError.java:62)
   at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit (Toolkit.java:593)
   at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment
(GraphicsEnvironment.java:103)
   at java.awt.Window.<init> (Window.java:134)
   at java.awt.Frame.<init> (Frame.java:245)
   at ComponentDisplay.main (ComponentDisplay.java:60)

On Xlib:
Using the command:
kaffe -Xkaffe-xlib-awt WidgetDisplay
returns the following error:
java.lang.InternalError: Pointer class was not properly initialized
at ComponentDisplay.main (ComponentDisplay.java:60)

Could anyone guide me as to where i went wrong?

Regards,
Kelvin