[kaffe] help needed porting kaffe 1.1.7 to iPhone

Dario Laverde dario at nycjava.net
Mon Jul 30 12:47:20 PDT 2007

I've got the toolchain working on my PPC OS X 10.4.10 and used the following to try
to build kaffe:

export PATH=/Developer/SDKs/iPhone/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
export KAFFEH=/usr/local/kaffebkp/bin/kaffeh
export CC=arm-apple-darwin-cc
export CPP=/Developer/SDKs/iPhone/bin/llvm-cpp
export NM=/Developer/SDKs/iPhone/bin/llvm-nm
export AR=/Developer/SDKs/iPhone/bin/llvm-ar
export RL=/Developer/SDKs/iPhone/bin/llvm-ranlib
./configure \
  --disable-largefile \
  --disable-static \
  --disable-nls \
  --disable-rpath \
  --disable-vmdebug \
  --disable-feedback \
  --disable-xmlj \
  --disable-alsa \
  --disable-dssi \
  --disable-gtk-peer \
  --disable-gcj \
  --disable-native-awt \
  --disable-xawt-xi18n \
  --disable-alsatest \
  --disable-esdtest \
  --disable-sound \
  --disable-gjdoc \
  --disable-classpath-tools \
  --disable-fastjar \
  --with-engine=intrp \
  --without-profiling \
  --without-gmp \
  --without-stats \
  --without-kaffe-x-awt \
  --without-x \
  --without-alsa \
  --without-esd \
  --with-extensions=comm \
  --without-suncompat \
  --enable-pure-java-math \
  --disable-boehm-gc-configuration \
--disable-debug \
--disable-xprofiling \
--disable-xdebugging \
--without-classpath-gtk-awt \
--without-awt \
--without-tools \
--without-sound \
--without-kaffe-qt-awt \
--host=arm-apple-darwin \
--build=powerpc-apple-darwin8 \
--prefix /usr/local/kaffe \

I get the following output:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking for arm-apple-darwin-strip... no
checking for strip... strip
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... gnutar
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for arm-apple-darwin-gcc... arm-apple-darwin-cc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

For info on building the toolchain:
(note: that I have successfully gotten the toolchain to work w/o modifications on a
PPC Mac)

I've attached config.log and .arm-cc-specs (which is what arm-apple-darwin-cc uses
for its flags).

I tried with --build=powerpc-apple-darwin as well as
--build=powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0 and even tried without adding the toolchain's bin
folder to the PATH and got the same same results.

thanks for any pointers,
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: config.log
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 12459 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/attachments/20070730/1764e39b/attachment-0002.obj 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: arm-cc-specs
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 1110 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/attachments/20070730/1764e39b/attachment-0003.obj 

More information about the kaffe mailing list